History
located in the northwest of Gwangju (光州廣域市) and is the gateway to Gwangju. It faces Seo-gu and Buk-gu to the east, Hampyeong County to the west, Naju City and Nam-gu to the south, and Jangseong County to the north. It is the transportation hub of air traffic and overland traffic, including railways, the expressway, and national highways.
Gwangsan-gu is adjacent to the Buk-gu and Seo-gu districts of Gwangju with the Geungnak River flowing in between to form a natural boundary. In its south the wide plain, near the Hwangryong and Geungnak Rivers, is connected to the Naju Plain, which serves as a boundary between Gwangsan-gu, Naju City, and Nam-gu.
In the northern part, the Sobaek Mountains and Noryeong Mountains stretch, forming a mountainous and hilly region facing Jangseong County. In the western part are gentle mountains and hills, which face Hampyeong County. It can be said that Gwangsan-gu shares its border with 3 districts (gu), 1 city (si), and 2 counties (gun).
Before Gabo-kyeongjang
- Mujinju (武珍州) of the Three Kingdoms Period
- Muju (武州) of the Unified Silla Period
After Gabo-kyeongjang
- 1895
- Gwangju-gun (光州郡)
- 1935. 10
- Gwangsan-gun, with Gwangju-bu separated from it
- 1937. 07. 01
- Songjeong-myeon, promoted to Songjeong-eup
After the establishment of the government of the Republic of Korea
- 1949. 08
- County office moved (Gwangju-si → Songjeong-eup), 3 myeon in Naju-gun (Pyeongdong, Samdo, Bonryang), included 1 eup and 14 myeon.
- 1955. 07. 01
- 4 myeon were included in Gwangju-si (Hyoji, Sukgok, Geungnak, Seobang).
- 1957. 11. 06
- 3 myeon were included in Gwangju-si (Jisan, Daechon, Seochang) - 1 eup, 7 myeon.
- 1963. 01. 01
- 6 dong were included in Gwangsan-gun (Daechon, Seochang) - 1 eup, 9 myeon.
- 1986. 11. 01
- Songjeong-eup was promoted to Songjeong-si (divided into Songjeong-si and Gwangsan-gun).
After the establishment of Gwangsan-gu
- 1988. 01. 01
- Songjeong-si and Gwangsan-gun were included in Gwangsan-gu; Gwangju-jikhalshi and Gwangsan-gu were newly established.
- 1988. 05. 01
- Promoted to autonomous district.
- 1989. 03. 10
- 3 administrative dong names were changed (Won-dong → Songjeong 1-dong, Jungang-dong → Songjeong 2-dong, Honam-dong → Songjeong 3-dong).
- 1989. 04. 01
- 2 administrative dong names were changed (Dochon-dong → Docheon-dong, Dochon-dong → Dogeum-dong).
- 1990. 04. 01
- 1 administrative dong name was changed (Osan-dong → Oseon-dong).
- 1993. 12. 01
- Hanam-chuljangso was divided into Hanam-chuljangso and Wolgok-dong.
- 1995. 03. 01
- Wolgok-dong was divided into Wolgok 1-dong and Wolgok 2-dong.
- 1995. 04. 20
- Seochang-chuljangso and Daechon-chuljangso were included in Seo-gu and Nam-gu, respectively.
- 1997. 07. 01
- Bia-chuljangso was divided into Bia-dong and Shinga-dong. Cheomdan-jiso was established (10 dong, 7 chuljangso).
- 1998. 10. 15
- Chuljangso was transformed into dong, Songjeong 2-dong and 3-dong were incorporated into Songjeong 2-dong, and Yongun-dong and Sochon-dong were incorporated into Eoryong-dong (16 dong).
- 2002. 03. 25
- Bia-dong was divided into Bia-dong and Cheomdan-dong (17 dong).
- 2003. 06. 30
- Cheomdan-dong was divided into Cheomdan 1-dong and Cheomdan 2-dong; Shinga-dong was divided into Shinga-dong and Unam-dong (19 dong).
- 2009. 09. 01
- Shinga-dong was divided into Shinga-dong and Shinchang-dong (20 dong).
- 2010. 09. 06
- Shinga-dong was divided into Shinga-dong and Suwan-dong (21 dong)



